Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Hanging with Scott and Angie

I am sitting on the floor on top of an air conditioning vent with my new friends Scott and Angie, they are 2 of our group of 10. I met Scott earlier and I have just met Angie. Angie is teaching humanities "not english" she will be working at high tech high in San Diego. Scott is a math teacher like myself we don't know yet if he is as funny as I am. Scott is teacher from Los Angeles who will be teaching next year in San Francisco, so far he is our leader.

Angie already misses her nieces and nephew and her dog, Sierra Nevada. So I think I have extra leg room on the way to Dubai which is nice. I will try to write from Dubai.


Peace out from JFK.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hey, John, just finished my fourth day at Aquinas. Can't wait to talk to you about the group and course - a lot in common with you. I asked my cohort in Mission Leadership for prayers for your journey (not just the travel part). Here's my prayer for your summer (written by Oscar Romero, champion of the poor and marginalize who I imagine is watching over you now and the group you are soon to teach.)

Katie

It helps, now and then, to step back and take a long view.

The kingdom is not only beyond our efforts,
it is even beyond our vision.

We accomplish in our lifetime only a tiny fraction
of the magnificent enterprise that is God's work.
Nothing we do is complete, which is a way of saying
that the kingdom always lies beyond us.
No statement says all that could be said.
No prayer fully expresses our faith.
No confession brings perfection.
No pastoral visit brings wholeness.
No program accomplishes the church's mission.
No set of goals and objectives includes everything.

This is what we are about.
We plant the seeds that one day will grow.
We water seeds already planted,
knowing that they hold future promise.

We lay foundations that will need further development.
We provide yeast that produces far beyond our capabilities.

We cannot do everything, and there is a sense of liberation
in realizing that. This enables us to do something,
and to do it very well. It may be incomplete,
but it is a beginning, a step along the way,
an opportunity for the Lord's grace to enter and do the rest.

We may never see the end results, but that is the difference
between the master builder and the worker.

We are workers, not master builders; ministers, not messiahs.
We are prophets of a future not our own.
Amen.