Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Thanks for Carrying Me

The words at the the top of this blog, are from the U2 Song, "One". This is a blog designed to keep all of my friends, families, students, and the curious, up to date about my journey into Africa.

In less than a week, I will be doing more than wearing a white bracelet. I will try my best to share my strengths and weaknesses with the Acholi people of Uganda.

This is my first step in doing something real to end hunger and extreme poverty by the year 2025. This is my way of sharing my thoughts and experiences with you. And then together we will accomplish this incredible goal.

As U2's words ring in my head, you should all know that I could not accomplish anything in life without you carrying me, and hopefully when you need me I will carry you also. But right now it is time to let the Acholi children carry me and then maybe I can carry them.

Somewhere on this blog will be a counter, if you read this occasionally, check the counter. In a very real way, it is counting you my friends who care about me. I am humbled by the interest and your best wishes about this trip. And remember good people, kindness, knowledge, and laughter will win the day. If you have any doubt read the counter. It says in my e-mail that I am travelling to Uganda on Air Emirates, but I know that I am really travelling on the prayers and kindness of you, my friends.

John Magee

1 comment:

PM said...

Hi John
Not sure if you remember me but I am your Dad’s cousin in Chicago…. I think that makes us 1st cousins once removed or something strange like that. At any rate, I just opened your Dad’s email and heard about your trip.

I went to Tanzania several years ago for a month with a group call Global Volunteers. Our project was a dormitory for a secondary school. We did not have much to show for our efforts when we left but it was a life changing experiment for me. Living in incredible poverty had no impact on the smiles of the children or the friendliness of the villagers. More than any time in my life, I felt as though I had an impact on others’ lives. More importantly, it put my life in perspective. The creature comforts that we take for granted are truly immaterial for most of humanity.

I know that you will return a different person and be so thankful that you had the opportunity for this great adventure. I look forward to following your blog

Cousin Peg in Chicago