Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Late at Night

Late at Night 6/21/07

The power went out after dinner, so I am glad I plugged this in or I would not be able to write this missive from the top bunk. I tried to get to the internet cafĂ© today to post these ,but it was crowded. If I don’t figure this out, you may get 3 oe 4 posts at a time. I have to e-mail them to my dad who will be physically posting them. There is an amazing amount of activity in this house. It seems like new people are arriving all the time. I think the count is 16 teachers in our program, 3 teachers in an NYU program, 4 interns, 5 program people, Amy who runs our program, Valerie who runs the house, a couple of videotape people, a couple of photo people, and 3 people from a program called Heals. We talked to Jolie, Brenda, and David today all Ugandan nationals who are working hard to make their country better. Did a lot of walking today, all of the kids in the town are amazed by the “giant American”. Most of the Ugandans are Acholi, and they almost always respond to a smile with an even warmer smile. Sometimes I just say hello, sometimes I ask “How are you, they respond always with “I am fine”, but they really seem to love that question. I will soon be working at Awere school . Awere is 1.5 hours north of here and all of the students in this school have been displaced by the war. So they are down here living close to this displaced school, mostly in IDC (Internal Displacement Camps). I meet my teaching partner tomorrow at dinner. As we visited the IC offices on the other side of town, what some thought was initially ran was bat poop being rained on us by thousand of bats. After taking the boda on my longest trip yet we walked through town. I saw the little beer stand where earlier today, I saw two 11 year old boys load up two cases of beer. They are not really drinking it, but it is there job to go to the store and bicycle back some beer. I am still a litlle amazed at all that I have seen. Hopefully I find a way around my internet problem and you can start reading these
Closer to the time I write them.

No comments: