Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Lubiri School in Kampala

today I saw an amazing place, I sat in the classroom of a Senior 3 math class at the Lubiri school in Kampala. Lubiri is one of the best schools in Kampala and they teach 3000 students there. We met a very dedicated faculty and the class that I watched was a math class of about 80 students sitting 3 on a bench behind a table. They were involved and actually were doing algebra like my phone number for those of you who hate that (for instance if a*b=a^2-b^2 what is 5*3 or more important what is (6*-2)*5)) good, good stuff we then had a very real conversation with a great faculty who were very dedicated to their students......driving through Kampala was nuts, I have never driven so cloooooose to so many motor bikes, pedestrians, and other vehicles. i am sending my phone number to my parents, so if someone wants to call me quickly at 2 pm or so in the afternoon someday, you may try

hopefully the next place I will get to upload some pictures, so far this part is not working..

btw, for those of you who know he is ----Jacob is a student at Lubiri and I met him today

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, John. Glad to hear you got to Kampala safely. On my first trip to Africa (Liberia) we actually paid the taxi drivers to drive under 70 mph (and learned how to calculate speed in km)! Glad you're having some time in a city to acclimate--and hope it's not too hot. Will look forward to your continuing saga.

Mary Mindel said...

Hi, John,
Glad to hear everything is so exciting. Got my Vanity Fair yesterday that is all about Africa. Barely had time to read it, but I started an article by the man who wrote "The End of Hunger" visiting Uganda. Maybe this is an issue that I'll let you read. Ha, ha.
Miss you!
Love,
M

Jeanne said...

Wow John that must have been so thrilling for you. I'm glad to hear he is alive and well. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Here's a joke that goes well with your pillow joke. What's brown and sticky? A stick. Yes, it's a TJM original. The girls and I have been living with that gem for years and I'm happy to share it with the people of Gulu.

Great to hear from you. We're tracking your movement on our "Where in Uganda is Uncle John" map. Big hugs to the Coolest Uncle in the World from M&K!

Love, SIL

phil said...

Hello John, it appears the trip has already made an impact on you. Your adventure sounds like driving on kingshighway late for a world series game, (minus the gas hose hanging out of the explorer). Am looking forward to hear more from you. You may want to know the Moose gave a good pounding to the ducks on the pond 15 - 3, (W). The moose scored 14 in the first half inning. Take care, if there is anything you need let us know, prayers are with you during your journey.