Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Thank You, Lesley.

Thank you, Lesley the way you always appreciated my jokes in Algebra II/Trig. Thank You for the kind smile you gave me when the joke was a particularly awful pun. In your smile, I always got from you a kind of "that was awful Mr. Magee, but keep trying one day you will be funny" look. Thank you, Lesley for always doing your best in everything you did in my class. (and you never complained about your obstacles or took any excuse for any assignment or any test). Thank you for being patient when your classmates sometimes were not. Thank you for each day smiling at me from your desk in the third row of E14, second chair to begin class. Thank you for bringing your smile and energy to that class on days that you felt great, and also for bringing your smile on the days that you did not. Thank you for helping me, stay on track, and be a better teacher for the students in our class.

Thank you, for sharing your friendship, and example of courage to the Class of '07. You and I both know they are pretty great kids, but you showed them something special and they are all a little bit better people today because of you. Thank you for making me a better teacher and a better person. You have taught me so much in just two years.

Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.

Lesley, like all men of my generation we all watched and remembered a movie called Brian's Song. Here are the words of Gale Sayers from that movie, stolen and changed by me. I do not think he would mind.

"I'd like to say a few words about a student I know, a friend of mine, her name is Lesley, and she has the heart of a giant, and that rare form of courage, that allows her to kid herself, and her opponent, cancer. She has the mental attitude which makes me proud to have a friend who spells out courage 24 hours a day, every day of her life..... I love Lesley and I'd like all of you to love her too. And tonight, when you hit your knees, please ask God to love her."

On Saturday, I will begin my journey to the Acholi children of Uganda. A lot of good people are concerned about me, now I will tell them not to worry so much. Because I will be watched by you my Angel. Help me, and guide me to help these children, Lesley, just like you always did in E14.

Humbly and Honorly Submitted on the night of June 12,2007.

John Magee

1 comment:

Judie Winters said...

For the past 4 years, and it will continue for the rest of my life, Lesley has been my role model. She has made everyone who knew her a better person. I am sure that was God's purpose for her life. She also showed us how to appreciate each day. And, like you, I have already started praying to her to help me become more like her. Thank you for putting your thoughts in writing; you expressed my thoughts better than I could ever do myself.