Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Nyeko Alfred

A lot of new posts today. I am sitting in an internet cafe for the first time in Gulu. Last night we had our dinner and today. I went to the Awere school and spent the morning there. It was an awesome experience, I wish you could all see the greeting we received from a class of Senior 4 students who were working on Saturday to prepare for their placement tests into either Advanced Senior 5 (the one path to University) or O Level Senior 5( kind of the equivlant of community college). We were led there by Katie who probably speaks Acholi better than any moo nu I know. She was caring on long caring conversations with the children. We saw them hand print cloth that they would be making into dresses for a special occasion. And then Alfred and I sat down and planned how we would team teach, we added 3 points to the contract: (1) that we would be available for our students, inside and outside of the classroom (2) we would do something, (ha ha sorry my mind is so full of so many thoughts and experiences) that I forgot something that I knew when I started to type this paragraph , and (3) Alfred and I agreed to stay in contact over the next year and beyond to help Ugandan and American students do better. YOU should see some of the math that they are doing, in split log make shift classrooms. with no resources. It is inspiring. Remember Awere is a displaced school so they can only build temporary classrooms the land belongs to the Ugandan railway, and through complicated land laws they cannot build more permanent structures.

This is unbelievably amazing and my eyes are filled with tears as I write this on how special this place can be. Don't worry mom I walked over to Holy Cross church and I plan on going to 7 am mass tomorrown.

Wenen

1 comment:

caitlin said...

hey john
do you e-mail? i dunno if you do i'll ask my mom.
thought about you the last night...there was a U2 cover band at the bar i was at...i swear the guy looked just like bono...yep your niece was rockin out with your hero
speaking of bono he just edited the most recent issue of vanity fair (i noticed my mom talked about vanity fair too...what can i say like mother like daughter) anyway i havent had a chance to read it all yet but i did read one article that i really liked...it involved arch bishop desmond tutu and guess who interviewed him....brad pitt!!! but thats not the reason i liked it...well not the ONLY reason...the stuff the archbishop said made me think a lot about you and all the great work you are doing there
everyone here is really proud of you! i'm so glad you're doing so well and so happy! miss you tons!
~your favorite niece...actually lets just say favorite offspring of your sisters and brother thay way kurt can't try to claim favorite nephew!