Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Friday, June 29, 2007

It's the little things

I do not know how this message will go. We are without electricity currently and different IC people are out back between the two buildings and discussing different things. Some God, some what happened today, Trisha is talking about her experience at Awer camp (similar spelling to my school, but two different entities). I guess I will also soon on this missive be talking about the same experience. But right now, I am marveling how many different things we have, small little, inconsequential things. Next week I will be demonstrating a math problem with post-it notes. Not available here. For our classrooms we were given large clumsy 2 hole binders with a very complicated system to reclose the binder. I went into town and bought a plastic folder clipboard folder for 8,000 /= (/= is the symbol for money, the dollar just fell here, but still buys close to 1600 shillings, so this purchase cost me a little more than $5). I then asked for a ream of paper, the shopkeeper asked, “One?” and I said yes and he said 100 shilling which seemed cheap until he handed me one piece of paper out of the pack. It is amazing that people will regularly buy individual sheets of paper. My friend Esau was hanging around waiting for me again today. I found out I could give him a pen, so tomorrow I will do that, but I really want him to walk to the courts tomorrow and play basketball. The assortment of kids I had last time were great, and I hope Amos (prounounced A-mos) shows he is an amazing kid. And I really look to reconnect with Kennedy and Geoffrey tomorrow. I am going to end this post here, because I think I want to separate this ordinary play from what I saw today. Read further for the Awer (away) camp story.

No comments: