Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Monday, June 25, 2007

Mia apa ario Acholi, One Moo Nu*

Mia apa ario Acholi Acel Moo Nu

1200 Acholi, 1 White Guy is what the title says. This morning I have a meeting at
10 a.m., so I had to get up early if I wanted to go to Mass. I was not sure if the Mass was at 7, 7:15, or 7:30. As I was getting dressed, I could hear the organ, so I quickly put on a shirt and tie, and hustle across the street at 6:45 am. It turns out the only two people in the church were me and the organist. It appeared for awhile that this Mass was probably going to be for fifteen to twenty people. Sometime around twenty minutes later, a deacon? knelt behind the first row of pews, and start leading a small congregation in the rosary. I had wanted to go to a Mass in Lwo, and did not think this was it, but it turns out that there was not one English word spoke through the rosary service, then the priest listened to confessions at the front of the church, as the congregation chanted prayers together. The Mass eventually started. They had straw mats up front for the children to sit on. Soon every pew started to fill up, except for the one with the Moo nu. I could not tell if there were being shy or respectful, but once Mass began, I noticed there were people outside and I quickly glanced around and saw that there were probably more than 1200 people at this Mass. Coming near the end to go sit on the straw mat was a little boy of about 4, who was wearing a St. Louis Cardinals t-shirt number 30. I am outside looking down at the ground and there are white ant wings all over the ground, they are the size of maple leaf helicopters, and look just as plentiful. Well hopefully my prayers this morning, will allow me to do my best tomorrow on the first day of school at Awere.

*Actually there were 3 moo nus, but more on that later

No comments: