Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

no clever title

I forgot where we last were. But here are a couple of update items. I appreciate comments to my blog, and I really want to read them, so keep sending them, but I probably won’t be able to reply to your comments. The internet cafĂ© is slow and I always feel guilty because people are waiting. I did read Caitlin’s and Laura Gallo’s comments so thanks.

My blog title was “Mia apa ario Acholi” I was wrong and have since learned better. 1200 is Apil acel ki mia ario” which translates to thousand one and hundred two. Okay so where am I, I will have nothing but cold showers for the rest of my time here (okay I just realized that is wrong, I might have a hot shower in Kampala), but anyway it is a big disappointment, when I wake up and there is no water. That means no shower whatsoever. I shaved with hand sanitizer the other day. It kind of worked. But in all the primitive conditions, it is amazing how used to this life style you get. The people are very friendly, all of the kids want to talk to you, and every one exchanges pleasantries. So far, I have done better with my English greetings because my Acholi is so bad, they usually can’t understand you. They also get a real big kick out of how much Americans talk with their nose. My new buddy Amos told me I am actually not quite as nasally as other Americans, he seemed to have a real adult perspective for a Primary 7 student.

Today I again planned next weeks lessons with Nyeko Alfred, who I almost always call Alfred. Nyeko is a name given to him when he was born, and describes the time he was born into. I am pretty sure Nyeko means Innocent. We had a good time planning our lessons for next week and also asking questions about Uganda and answering questions about America. In the afternoon, I went to Gulu High School and watched Danielle teach a Senior 1 class about linear equations and y-intercept. She did a great job with her partner Patrick. It was amazing to see this 5’3” woman command this class room of 120 girls. Oh by the way, it is considered dress code in all schools that I have visited that the girls and boys both have hair that is almost shaved. Often with the little kids the only way you can tell the differences is through their skirts.

Not sure if I mentioned an amazing job that a woman named Filda is doing at a place called St. Jude’s Orphanage. They have about 83 kids and they have them all smiling and interested in all kinds of activities. The older kids help raise the youngsters, just like they were in a real family. Each group of 7 or 8 kids has a “mom” that lives and works at the orphanage.

We also had a great roundtable meeting at Awere. All 5 of our teachers are ready to go. I am working there with Adam, Wendy, Trisha, and Terry (I share a phone with Terry and she has more than a first name in common with Terri Gaffney). They are both very down to earth and always willing to help. The Awere teachers are Solena, Alfred, Nancy, Beatrice, and --------. When I cam home Kennedy was waiting for me again. He really is looking for something to do. I met Esau again, and a new friend Amos. I am planning on playing basketball with that gang plus more on Thursday afternoon. Until then, it looks like I will be pretty busy. This message might not get to you for another 4 days. Oh, keep your fingers crossed a couple of the women have had to use a dewormer and are still a little under the weather. Amy, kind of my boss, just like my boss Winnie (ha ha), spent most of the time walking back and forth to Gulu high puking. Although it was not much, it was constant. Luckily I had one of the Thiemann gifts of Charmin to go, so she was grateful. Later, she ran our roundtable meeting at Awere without missing a beat. See you soon, by the way I expect to be able to guide the Cardinals to the Series again with my sheer force of will, please do not let my job get too tough, make sure they are within shouting distance.

3 comments:

Katie said...

hey john.
this is your god-daughter erin.
i know you might not get a chance to respond to this comment, but i just want you to know how inspiring you are to all of us back in st. louis. You are doing such a great thing and I know you will walk away with a humbling experience that will forever change you. Like you, I wear the bracelet, but unfortunately I have not been able to do much because I am only 16. You, on the other hand, are changing the lives of others every day. I also had a question for you if you get a chance to respond. Was the Gulu High School you mentioned the same thing as Gulu Secondary/Senior? That is the school Cor Jesu is sponsoring and I just wanted to know if they were the same; I would love to be able to hear first hand what our fundraising has done to provide and education and a future for the children victimized by the atrocities in Uganda. We love you John and we are praying not only for you, but the children of Uganda and for peace in Africa.

Love, Erin.

John Magee said...

yes it is.

Sorry, I should have checked. I can tell you exactyly what is happening and I will make sure I walk over their and take pictures of what is happening for the school. They have a new science lab with real equipment and they (IC) is also constructing a girls dormitory.

John Magee said...

sorry erin did not answer your question it is the same high school