Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

4th of July

So last night at 4 am, the came and came and came and woke me up. It was pouring, unfortunately I had to use the toilet, so I tried to get skinny and stay along the wall like a cat burglar. Apparently, cat burglars are skinnier than me, because I got hit with a cold, cold ran. It was especially the worst when I hit the big drip that was running off the roof. YEEEEEEOOOOWWW!!! I was curious to see how the rain was going to effect Awere school this morning. And just as important, I was hoping that the rain would not hamper the ability of Denis to meet with Geoffrey his mentor at the IC house this morning. I know he can make it back and be something.

Class was fun today as we started with only about 11 students because of the rain. Alfred plans so much for each class, it was fun to just wing it. We started by reviewing the night's home work and I soon was able to sneak in the Identity Matrix. As Alfred collected the exercise books. I was also able to rework another problem. I know it was difficult to walk to school this morning in the rain through the mud, so I really admire the 13 or so students who were that at 8:15. We eventually had more than 40 before the 80 minute period ended,

I am writing this at Awere during a break. We had beef and rice today for lunch which is much better than the potio and beans they have every day at Gulu high and at most schools. Potio is like harder mashed potatoes with a third of the taste. The H.E.A.L.S. group left yesterday they were Josh, Megan, and Christine. Three really good people who did a lot at the afterschool program that Jolie runs. Josh was a great roommate and endeared himself to me at the very end by leaving almost a full pill bottle of immodium. After taking my first CIPRO of the trip on friday night, I have not had any more problems. We compare notes on our movements as regular conversation. My favorite quote was by South Carolina spitfire Danielle who said last week, " Every time I poop it's a party!" So although living together and eating the same food, we have different reactions. Maybe next volleyball game it should be the immodiums versus the fiber pills.
btw, It is time to get the Cardinals going.

I found out I was wrong. Nyeko Alfred, my colleague's name, Nyeko, means jealousy or in other words during his birth some friend or relative of his mother's was jealous. Also first girl twin is Apiyo and second one is Acen. So I forget is is Apiyo Elise and Acen Erin or Apiyo Erin and Acen Elise (ACEN is pronounced a-chen)

As I left school today, one class was laughing hysterically and I saw another young girl working feverishly on her assignment. It does not matter the resources, I think all teennagers will find a way to laugh, and in every school there will be the one student who works real hard no matter how big the obstacles.

john

2 comments:

BBACK said...

Hi John,

We saw Katie last night and she mentioned the Blog. When you get back what will come first the book or the movie. I am sure you will pick Brad Pitt to play your role.

I think it is great that you wanted to have this experience and share it with everyone. Your students will benefit the experience. How do kids learn without iPods?

Keep cheering for the cardinals they need all the help they can get. On one baseball note, the giants are coming to STL. Bonds has 4 more HR's to break Aaron's record. It is possible he may do it in STL. With our pitching staff he can do that in 1 game.

We will continue to follow your story.

The Backers

Patti Powers said...

Hi Julio!

I am really enjoying all your updates and the posted photos.
What an incredible experience
for you! I love the Naperville/Lisle T-shirt sighting and the Mississippi State connection. Sounds like you are meeting some wonderful people there.

This is definately a life changing experience for you and all of us a little too through your story telling...certainly reminds us of how lucky we are to have so many conveniences.

I'll share your blog with John, MG, and Connor. Take care.

Patti

PS. Hello to all the Magees...you must be very proud!