Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Counter

It is very humbling to see the counter on my blog go up by leaps and bounds. It is also great to hear from old friends and people I have never met. I feel I have to keep writing, so if things get boring let me know and I will start running repeats until I can get the writers to craft a very special episode of Magee in Uganda.

I am starting to bring my lap top to bed, so it is a good time to write. I had dinner with Amy Colleen Fitzgerald, who is doing research at Gulu University on peace research. One of the real interesting things she said was Northern Uganda might give a real gift to the world in showing how they can come out of a 20 year war with a much different model than we have seen before. She graduated from Wash U in 2002 and her and her husband kind of reside with 4 other people living in community in Boston. Her husband is going to school for Internal medicine and does some work with Partners in Health (for you Paul Farmer and mountains beyond mountains fans)

I then got home and talked with the Awere teachers about doing community service at Awere on Friday morning when the kids are at a track meet. Sounds great. Brian from Mississippi State (shout out Connor Powers), Trisha from Philadelphia and I walked into Gulu in the evening to try to buy 7up for a teacher that needed some help. We walked into David’s moms health clinic to try to buy Alka-Seltzer for a science experiment. Trisha then tried to make an Alka rocket to celebrate the 4th, it did not work because it was not in tablet form just powder and she could not get the lid closed on the film can quick enough. MacGyver (you know the tall guy) suggested wrapping the powder in toiler paper as a slow fuse. It worked.

We then walked up the street where the IC VIP house was holding a 4th of July party. The early part was several American tunes, with Sarah the Brit who is head of IC here jumping in the middle to sing Rule Britannia. I had a couple of great conversations with the Ugandans including David talking about many things. David told me I talk about my students a lot, so there it is kids. Proof that you guys are always in my thoughts. It was great to just smell a barbecue pit. They had gotten good meat from Kampala and it smelled like an American back yard. Chris amd Amy then danced around the yard in the darkness each holding a single sparkler. The dance party was in full swing with some recent club hits that appeal to that younger crowd, but don’t worry as soon as I could I put on a little Nelly and showed them how we dance in the Lou. REPRESENT. I also realized that I have now danced to Nelly on 3 different continents.

It appears I have run out of events and good ideas so

To all my homies celebrating the 4th of Julizzle

Peace out A-town,

John

7 comments:

mike barry said...

First it's trick basketball plays, then Nellie. What's next...those poor little African kids with peanuts hangin off thier ears.

Glad you got to celbrate the 4th- we missed the "Magee" show here in St. Louis.

Great to keep up with your stories through this site.

Keep up your good works.

mb.

Claudia said...

John,

Many thanks for sending me your blog site address. It is amazing and fascinating.

I forwarded your blog address to Joyce Bytnar who will just love reading it.

I love the picture of the tall man with a tie, surrounded by all of the small children....a clasic.

Claudia

Claudia said...

John,

I just looked up Awere on Google Maps and you certainly out in the middle of nowhere. The satellite view showed some very orange spots. I am wondering what they are.

Kampala looked very modern from the satellite view. And Lake Victoria seemed glorious.

I tried to find you on the satellite view but you didn't show up....ha....ha...

Claudia

Mia said...

Dear John, You do not know me but I am Lindsay's Hentschel's aunt(tell her I said Hi,as I am the favorite aunt on her father's side, and the only LOL)I got a link from Lindsay's and Hadley's site to yours and I read yours and their site everyday. I am praying for all of you and I am really blessed by your work. I love to read your long blogs, so keep them coming. My mother and father(Lindsay's grandma and grandfather) also read them. They are so good that I feel like I am there and that I know you. I have laughed and cried and definitely praying for a shower for you.I am a nurse in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I am reading books about Uganda now inorder to understand all. Keep up the good work! I too would like to send things to the children. When you know what to do, please let Hadley and Lindsay know( or they may also know already)or at least how to get in touch with you in the states.
All of God's best, Mia

Joyce said...

Yes, I have been enjoying the blogs. Fascinating, heartbreaking, amusing, interesting...couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Prayers are forthcoming. Joyce

Katie said...

John,

Kurt said he would like to be a penpal with one of the boys and will make the commitment to do it for a year.

Glad you had a few fireworks for the 4th.

Katie

John Magee said...

Katie,
Great see if Kurt has a friend or two that also might be interested.

Claudia,
I am actually in Gulu. Awere is a displaced school because of the war in Northern Uganda. If peace comes they will go back to Awere, currently their school is in gulu.

Mia,
I will pass on your message