Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Monday, July 2, 2007

Rooster Time

THIS ENTRY IS SLIGHTLY OUT OF ORDER

Rooster Time

It is 6:40 am on an Sunday morning and I am in bed under my mosquito netting listening to a very loud rooster. This rooster sounds like a cartoon animal trying to imitate a rooster and not quite getting it right. I can just here the big chicken say, “I say, I say son that is no way to imitate a rooster.” Seriously something is wrong with the end of this rooster’s call. It rained most of last night, but it did not matter as I was in bed at 9:24 pm on a Saturday night.
Yesterday, we had our conference for over 50 teachers at St. Monica’s up the road. St. Monica’s is a home for child mothers. In case you did not know, a lot of child mothers are that way, is because they were kidnapped and used for sex slaves during the war. This place was a wonderful campus with well manicured lawns and decorative bushes and flowers. I guess they must have a lawn mower. I have only seen one lawn mower here, a push mower in our backyard. Most of the grass cutting I have seen at schools is being done by students (as a punishment?) who wield a piece of 3 ft. metal, slightly sharpened at one end.

Any way the conference included Wamala George the headmaster of Lubiri SS in Kampala, the District Education Officer for Gulu, a child psychologist who deals with PTSD in children affected by the war. And of course, more drama related workshops to get the teachers up and moving. It was a good day, all in all. I have a great picture of Alfred from one of the exercises. I also met Sr. Mary Cara Ajio, who is the head teacher at Sacred Heart a Catholic school for 940 girls just down the road. I have made arrangements to visit the school next week.

When I came home some of the interns, had killed a guinea fowl in their yard. They had brought it over to cook supreme, Doreen to cook it. They said it tasted good, but I backed away with first teaching day coming up, and my system not quite at 100%.
Today I am going to noon mass to hear Jamie, one of the interns, who sings in the choir.
I have also erased a lot of things off of my hard drive to hopefully make uploading pictures easier. I will also find out I guess whether Jack Magee was successfully able to upload the picitures.

john

1 comment:

Frank Z H said...

Speaking of lawnmowing, Luke mowed your lawn. We made him use a 2 foot piece of metal sharpened at both ends. Lucky for him, it was attached to a power mower. Oh, the many things we take for granted. John, we are all out here rooting for you and supporting you in our thoughts and prayers. Keep up the good work. And happy 4th of July.