Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Thursday, July 19, 2007

The First of Good-byes

Good-bye

Tuesday afternoon, I was talking to Awere head teacher, Ottober Matthew Obol about ways we could continue the link between American and Gulu when I got back to America. He said a couple of interesting things, one he said we should find a way to get together and talk like family. Tonight, we got together and talked like family. Like a big Catholic family, where the beer and the laughter never subsided. We went to Hotel Roma, so the first time I met Matthew and Nyeko Alfred and the rest of the Awere teachers was at Hotel Roma, and we would also begin to say our good-byes there. Matthew had told me that when he found out Chris, an American who had worked for IC was leaving a week ago, he immediately hopped on his bicycle and pedaled to the office. He explained tonight that it was an Acholi custom that when guests leave they don’t slip away into the night, there is a celebration and a good-bye. You could still tell that Matthew was disappointed that he did not have a big celebration to say good-bye to Chris. But he was ready tonight.

He first told the waitress that she should take my order first because I was the chief guest. Since last Friday the bishop of Gulu was the chief guest and even though Matthew said his comment with humor, I was still touched. Eventually, we decided that ladies should go first. Trisha took a long time ordering and deciding between a lime fanta or a Fresca (which I don’t really think they have), I think she thought she could get a lime Fresca which intrigued her. Matthew, as she was ordering, stated more than once she could order any type of beverage. I knew then that in order to honor my friend Matthew, I would have to order a beer. The sacrifices I have had to make in this country!!!!! Matthew then turned it over to his Director of Studies. The Director of Studies, a young man who is always smiling and always welcoming then proceeded to list how tonight’s program would be run. He had an entire schedule of speeches and presentations written down, although there was only 14 of us. Oliki George talked first and welcomed every group of people, like we were welcoming dignitaries at a state dinner. It is kind of nice the formality that the Ugandans bring to many of the simplest of things, it is a vestige of their British Colonialism I think, but it is still a nice and polite way to do things. One of the Americans was scheduled to give a speech, and when that happened the other four pair of eyes looked to me. I hope that I was able to honor and give words to the hard work that Terry, Trisha, Wendy, and Adam have brought to Awere. I hope I represented us well. I relied on some favorite words, and began with the Shel Silverstein poem. If I was in America, I would be googling the poem and making sure of the correct words, but since I am in Africa, my recollection will have to do.

Listen to the Mustn’ts by Shel Silverstein

Listen to the Mustn’ts, Child
Listen to the Don’ts,
Listen to the Shouldn’ts, the Couldn’ts, and the Won’ts
Listen to them all and
Then Listen Closely to Me,
Anything is possible, Child,
Aything Can be.

I tried to tell the Ugandan teachers that no matter how many obstacles had been placed in front of their students. The worst obstacles and hindrances a child could imagine. Their students will still learning, still achieving, still wanting to do the best that they could. There are many people to salute, about the pride in the Awere students, but certainly the dedication and tireless effort of their faculty and their head teacher is a big contributor to their success.

Adam and I were the only men amongst the five teachers and during this ceremony, I think both of us could feel the emotion in the room, and tears welled in our eyes. I do not know about our distaff colleagues, but I think tonight was a special night for all of us. Who knew I could come half way around the world and meet such a good group of friends. I do not know yet, how I will honor Gulu and the people that I have met, but I can assure you that each and every day. I will have them on my person and in my hearts.

A few beverages followed with my four colleagues bringing criticism upon our own King of Beers. I told the Ugandan teachers that when you insult the brewery in my town, it is like a football team, it was like disparaging Manchester United. Immediately, one of the Ugandan teachers asked me what my problem with was Arsenal I quickly backtracked, because as of now, I do not have a dog in that fight.


We would have left an hour sooner, but one of the Colorado women was slow in finishing her beverage, so because of that we got stuck in a rainstorm. We waited out the storm by having a few more beverages, finally when it did not let up. Terry, Wendy, and I started back. It was pouring, we found a boda boda for Terry, but in this busy city it might have been the only one running. Wendy and I walked down the street laughing as we soon soaking wet, and one of my first steps was 18 inches into a huge puddle. We kept walking as I shouted “This is Africa” to a deserted Juba road. Soon after about 100 meters, there was a boda for Wendy. I then walked soaked to the skin, and I do not think I have ever been anywhere where my tie was that wet. It felt like I had 50 lbs. around my neck. Wendy took off into the rain, and I continued walking, soon Terry’s brave boda driver returned and we went motorbiking through the darkness and the rain on a cold Gulu night.

I have never been that happy.

Peace and still drying out,

john

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep Dry... I had a pair of boots get wet in Biloxi, Mississippi one summer and they NEVER dried out.
.
So, Did Trisha ever get her Lime Fresca ?