Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Esau

I see Esau almost every day. He seems to want to do something everytime i see him.
I am going to play basketball Monday with those guys again, but I am trying to figure out more about Esau and how I can best help him. Invisible children is big about not giving any handouts at all, and that is because it just perpetuates the practice that Western faces are for money, and delays the progress of Uganda and its people. But still although, I believe in that practice it is hard sometimes. Esau has asked me for a pen, and after asking permission I gave him a pen. I made sure it was one he could have gotten in town.

Today, Trisha and I went to Mass at Holy Rosary. There were people lined up outside of the church when we got there. I did not want to watch Mass from outside, so we went around the side and Jamie explained to us, that one mass had not let out yet. So we were part of a crowd that pushed inside of Church while the last mass crowd pushed out. It was kind of crazy, but nice that both masses were overflowing. Mass was an hour and a half and in English and Lwo, but sometimes even the English was hard to understand.
I set a John Magee record for sweating coming close but not eclipsing the record by John Gilliam in Jeff City.

Anyway, back to Esau. We saw him on the way to Mass, and he asked for 500 shillings because he was hungry. It tears me up that I could not give him anything, but I will figure something out. The enormity of what is hear is overwhelming yet the people are smiling and happy and work hard to make a little bit each day. Esau has told me that he has lost his parents, but I have been unable to find out more about his story. I cannot remember the statistic, but many of these children have lost a parent to a violent death, because of the war.

Today, I prayed for Esau amidst the sweat. The Head Teacher for Awere directed the choir in the last two songs.

john

No comments: