Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Just when you thought you were taking a risk

I just met someone named Amelia from Oregon, she is really in the bush. She came to the IC house because her area is currently not safe. She is a couple of hours away living with the Otesse tribe teaching them English. For a while she was the only American there. She is a half mile from the latrine, so she was telling us how she never drinks or eat close to bed time. She has no electricity or running water. She had to leave because the Kajimoro tribe believes all cattle belongs to them, so if they see another tribe with cattle they will shoot them and take the cattle. Relax mom, this has nothing to do with me, but it still is one of many interesting stories I have heard. Oh and some of the guys killed a guinea fowl today. These "expert hunters" used a rock, a big stick that looked like a bat, then a larger stone. Oh btw, I spend most nites watching Arrested Development with a couple of the guys. So this really is an interesting place.

john

there is another entry on my computer somewhere that will fit before these two.

6 comments:

Chris Miller said...

I've co-opted a phrase that I heard you say--Courage should always be rewarded.

It is.

God Bless

Chris Miller

Charlotte Simcox said...

What an amazing life experience you are living! I am enjoying reading your blog. You said at one point that you were planning lessons. When will you start teaching? I already tried to leave a comment but I was unsuccessful, being the tech whiz that I am - so I will try again now.
Charlotte

Tracie said...

John, You may not remember me, but I am Katie's friend who walks with the crazy Disney gang. Anyway, I have been enjoying your blog. My uncle spent 45 years in Kenya as a Maryknoll missionary priest. He is now retired and visiting us in St. Louis. My husband, Tyler, and I had the chance to spend 3 weeks in Kenya with him so years ago. It was the most fascinating place I have ever been. Keep up the good work! I am so glad you are obviously learning so many new things!
Tracie Cain

Katie said...

Hey, John. It was great talking to you today. Stay cool - we're praying for you.

Katie

Katie said...

John,

This is so cool! Tonight I had to listen to a podcast interview with Jaroslav Pelikan, a Yale professor and historian of Christian creeds, for my Aquinas homework. In the end of the interview, he speaks of the Masai Christian creed, written in the 1960's, which he describes as one of the most beautiful creeds in two thousand years of Christian history. I'm guessing that is the creed you are hearing in Mass but in the Lwo language (did I get that right?)
Here is the translation for you:

"We believe in the one High God, who out of love created the beautiful world and everything good in it. He created man and wanted man to be happy in the world. God loves the world and every nation and tribe on the earth. We have known this High God in the darkness, and now we know him in the light. God promised in the book of his word, the Bible, that he would save the world and all nations and tribes.

We believe that God made good his promise by sending his son, Jesus Christ, a man in the flesh, a Jew by tribe, born poor in a little village, who left his home and was always on safari doing good, curing people by the power of God, teaching about God and man, showing that the meaning of religion is love. He was rejected by his people, tortured and nailed hands and feet to a cross, and died. He was buried in the grave, but the hyenas did not touch him, and on the third day, he rose from that grave. He ascended to the skies. He is the Lord.

We believe that all our sins are forgiven through him. All who have faith in him must be sorry for their sins, be baptized in the Holy Spirit of God, live the rules of love, and share the bread together in love, to announce the good news to others until Jesus comes again. We are waiting for him. He is alive. He lives. This we believe. Amen."

Katie

John Magee said...

thanks for the comment
Katie I do not know

but they add a lot to the mass

as part of their singing they also have what can only be described as a Xena war chant at the end of a verse

i am going to mass at gulu high this sunday at 9 pm, an all youth mass