Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Several Different Thoughts

03 July 2007

Several Different Thoughts

I forgot to tell everyone another interesting story. All the Acholi people have names that they use at the beginning of their name. So Amos’ name is Orach Amos, when I asked what his name meant, he said it means my mom had me in a bad place, which I think means he is a breech baby. They also have a way of naming twins by who is born first. Erin and Elise I will try to have that for you before I finish this message. There was no water again, but I found a bucket outside with enough water to flush our working toilet. I have kind of taken on that responsibility to fill the toilet with water after a certain accumulation over a night or period with no water. Compared to some of the pit latrines, this is a deluxe bathroom.

Last night, I met two teachers from Ames, Iowa who were here with high school kids building a primary school. They brought 50 in three different groups, and I hit them up for a lot of info and have their e-mail accounts. Students, I am far from making this commitment, but you should know that I am doing a lot to gather information to see if it is possible. It still is going to be between $ 3000-$ 4000, but it is at least a possibility. Tomorrow night, I am meeting Amy Colleen Finnegan who is over here doing research into the peace process and is working in a seminar at Gulu University. Both of us have a connection to Wash U. Catholic Student Center and are now staying a couple of kilometers apart both 10,000 or so miles from Father Gary and his congregation.

Today, was the first day that I actually got to lecture in the class. Alfred is such a nice man, he is always making sure that we are working together to help his students. He also loves to Sudokus, so we have completed a couple together in our down time. I felt really good in the classroom, I got to teach Matrix multiplication in a way slightly different than they have learned. I was happy, because I felt like I got to teach with my personality and laughter in the room. Also, sorry I am skipping around, but we are all sitting in the dark, with candles, and my mind is wandering as I am listening to several conversations at once. But I wanted to tell you that I am the old man here, most of the group is under 30, including a few very experienced professionals who are less than 25.
Okay back to the class, the students were excited that they can approach me for help, and I think I would have had several takers, but it rained heavily after school, so everyone stayed in their buildings, as water was carried in mud ditches away from the school. I will try to get an exterior shot of Awere up on the blog before this week is over. I guess I can never complain about my classroom or facilities again. There is very little sound protection between the classrooms, and Alfred and the students, who like all Ugandans do not talk loudly seem to have no trouble hearing each other. Only the big moo nu at the back of the classroom had to really strain to hear. The students also got a big kick when I exaggerated my American nasal talking style. The Acholi use the word stubborn, like we would use the term smart alec, silly, or crazy. After class, Alfred said like he does a lot with a smile on his face, “Those students are so stubborn.” Apparently two of the students in their answers tried to imitate my American accent.

We had our second round table it was run by Phil, the professor from Boise State, who I think is a great guy. Afterwards, Phil, David (the Acholi I talked about earlier), and I were talking. Phil floated the idea that it might be possible to fly David to Idaho to speak. It would be interesting to capitalize on that same trip and come up with the capital to help finance David’s trip ( how about it Nerinx, Cor Jesu, SLUH parents and alums) this is probably someone your sons and daughters should hear. All of the soda bottles are deposit, and if you buy one from a gas station they really want you to drink it on premises. So walking away with half a case of 300 mL bottles can be tricky, but we have a good reputation here and usually can do it at the Shell station. Btw, most people in town, will not make change for a 20,000 /= bill (about $12.50) so you have to frequently go to the gas station, because they do make change. Next to the Shell station, I got to meet David’s mom and sister, David’s mom is a midwife and has a small clinic where she treats patients for a myriad of ailments. She like many Acholis told me I was most welcome here. The Lwo word for thank you is Apwoyo ( pronounced -- a foy o) and is often connected to another word. The ones that I really like to hear and is usually spoken by an older, wise women is Apwoyo Bino which means “Thank you, you are welcome here.” I think I am going to say that to all the new freshmen I meet in August. I really like the intent and kindness that I feel from those words. If you could somehow feel the kind smile that is attached to those words, you would feel welcome and just feel really good about being here.

So tonight, since I am now teaching I am giving you homework. Your assignment is to say Apwoyo Bino to someone in the next day. It is again from the Lwo language which is the language spoken by the Acholi people of Northern Uganda.

Apwoyo Matek,

John

No comments: