Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Monday, July 2, 2007

Isa not Esau

Well God has a sense of humor. We had no water last night, and I prayed we would have water in the morning so I could shower for the first day I would be in the classroom. We did not get water, but instead in poured on the way to school. It is a 15 minute walk along all mud paths, so I tucked my pants into my socks and walked to school. I got many a laugh from the Acholi. Since most students and teachers also take this path, it is common to wait for the rain to let up. so essentially my first class where I would lecture is rained out. I am now in an internet cafe sweating, so I hope the water does not run out before I get back.

Isa is his name not Esau, so today Isa, Amos, and Samuel met me at the IC house and we walked up to the courts. We had a game of about 8 on 6 although I was not sure. The kids all had three shirts on after school, and every time I thought I knew who was on my team, that kid got hot and took off a shirt, resulting in an entirely different color. Good game though. Afterwards, the three of us went to the Corner bar, they did not go in, but I think they can and I ordered five waters, two for the big sweaty moo nu and one for each Acholi. I talked to Isa and found out that he had enough to eat on Sunday. He and his five siblings are living with his aunt while his mother is somewhere up north. So I think things are at least stable for him. but I also talked to Amos and found that he sometimes misses school, because he does not have his school fees and he is sent home. I immediately am looking at 3rd party sponsorship. His school fees for the year at 21,000 shs i think. Which is about $20........yeh, it really might take that little to figure out how to keep this bright, and talented, and well spoken P6 student in school.

I am not sure my Nerinx e-mails are going through, so if anyone in the math dept. reads this, my AP syllabus was approved by the College board.

Sometime soon my dad will post a picture of a little kid in a suit at ST. Jude's orphanage. A lot of the kids had torn shirts on a hot day, but this little executive soldiered on. I am sorry this was quick, but I am really trying to race back to the house and get in the shower.

peace

John

4 comments:

John Gilliam said...

John,

As always, I'm very proud to have a friend like you that has unparralelled(?) compassion. Just a long shot, but is it remotely possible to send anything to you for the school, the kids, the other teachers?? Great blog, can't wait to get in-depth details when you return. FYI, the over/under is you're down 35 pounds when you get back.

Gilliam

Unknown said...

John,

I am a good friend of Megan Barry, and she knows of my love of all things Africa, so she shared this blog with me. I have not been to Uganda, but have travelled mostly thru' SA,Botwanna,Kenya & Tanzania. This fall I am also going to Namibia & Mozambique. You mentioned school fees for some of your boys. I would love to sponsor a couple of your young students. Would that be somthing you are open to? Pls let me know. I travel a great deal so I am best reached on my business email anette.falkner@maritz.com.

Hope that you have water today, for your cold water shower. Here in Northern California it will be a hot one, 90 degrees (and remember, we do not have airconditioning her in SFO:)Not uite the same, just sharing:)

Best

Anette Falkner

Mary Mindel said...

Everything sounds so interesting, Johnny, especially all the kids. It's also interesting reading all the posts and seeing how your blog is spreading like a ripple is a pond. We'll miss you on the Fourth. Saw a great Cards win last night - over the D'backs 11-3. Maybe there's hope for this team yet.
If Jack Abels goes to hell, I'll be right next to him. I was laughing my head off at the "Airplane" reference!
See you soon,
Love,
Mary

John Magee said...

John,
Any school supplies for the students of Awere can probably be best organized when I get back.

Annette,

I am finding out the logistics of school fees. It is somewhat complicated because anything that does not go through a third party locally probably does not get to the intended party and just exacerbates the problem. but there are at least two that I am working with and I will have more answers soon, but might be when I am back in USA