Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Wash Day Surprises

I TRIED MY BEST TO POST YESTERDAY, BUT A SIMPLE PAGE TOOK 5 MINUTES TO LOAD SO I GAVE UP, BUT THERE ARE 2 POSTS TODAY

Wash day Surprises

Today it was kind of nice knowing that I would not have to get to school by 8 am. We do not have a class this early, and Alfred is working on some stuff of his for his University schooling. So I got out of bed with no urgency, and remembered today was my wash day. I got most of my clothes out and then went back and thought I should look to make sure I had not missed anything. I saw a grey t-shirt, it was either on the floor or on a chair, I do not remember where (this makes a difference in the story later so remember this fact). I then walked out to the eating area, which is outside, and saw some of the women eating. I then thought what is in my shirt, it was heavy, like maybe I thought a cel phone or an iPod, as I worked to get it out.----All of a sudden, my old friend, the black lizard leaped onto the ground from waist high. I screamed and the lizard start running toward the girls who also screamed and then he ran away. Quite a wake up call. Does anyone know if lizards return home like salmon or the swallows of the Capistrano, if so please let me know immediately.


I have not heard from Coach Nesbitt and I am curious how U of I went and how the summer league is going. If anyone knows, please e-mail me. It is always good to have news from home.

P.S. I have grown addicted to your comments and love the little messages from home on the blog, keep them up and thanks.


John

6 comments:

Mary said...

OK, so yesterday Winnie, Mary Jude, Charlotte and I were sitting around the math office (don't even ask WHY) and we discovered that you needn't beware the Ides of March, but you DO have to watch out for D Period during flu season. YOU are the only one free!! Also, we will all be talking about you during F Period, since YOU are the only one TEACHING!!

Mia said...

Dear John, I have been worried about the lizard ever since you posted the first time about him. Was he really a little smaller than a Komodo dragon? You all are brave. I could handle no electricity, no showers, heat etc, but I draw the line at the lizard.LOL It is very nice to read your blogs. I look forward to them as you have a different perspective than Hadley and Lindsay.All of God's best to you, Mia

Tom Magee said...

John, I finally created my google account to post a comment. We have been reading your daily comments and are disappointed when there is not a new one to read in the morning.

I hope you are taking good pictures. I am curious about that lizard and would like to see exactly how big it is. I just did some quick research and it may be from the Monitor lizard family which are prevalent in Africa. It sounds like you are going to want to go back there again, and maybe next time you can bring a video camera with you.

It is interesting to juxtapose your comments about the conditions there versus what we are facing here. I had a hard time the other night and was going nuts with one of the toilets that kept running, but I assume the folks there would laugh at such an "inconvenience".

We are looking forward to your return and hearing more about your trip. We are going to San Diego and are coming back in to town on July 28 so we may not see you on your return--depending on when you get in.

I have passed your site on to others and it is universally enjoyed.

Cards are treading water and probably are going to be still treading water when you get back.

Have a safe couple of weeks and we will see you soon.

Tom (and Jeanne, Mary and Kathleen)

Anonymous said...

Hi, John. I've finally caught up with you after not reading for some time. Glad you caught the lizard. It might have bonded with you and thought it wanted to come back, but I'm sure the screaming chased it away for good.

Your stories bring back many fond memories of Africa for me. It's amazing how many things are similar across the continent.

Construction at Nerinx is going well. The field still looks like an expanse of flat dirt, but they assure me there's progress.

Take care.

Barbara

Claudia said...

John,

Your lizard story reminds me of a trip we took to the Bahamas. When we got home and were unpacking an anole (small lizard) scampered out of our suitcase and on to our bed. Luckily Jack was able to catch it quickly or we would have had to sleep somewhere else for the night.

The moral of my story is that when you pack to come home be sure you start with an empty suitcase, and watch carefully for hitch hikers.

Claudia

John Magee said...

thanks for the comments

john