Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Ohhh and the Keeper was not ready for that one

Oh and the Keeper was not ready for that one.

Some of you remember, Toby Charles broadcasting soccer on Sunday morning. Well, the faculty of Awere with ample help from student teachers challenged the high school team after school on Wednesday. The Ugandans number the whole field 1 to 11 and asked where I wanted to play, they told me they had put me in 1. Which of course was the goal keeper. After taking shots from students, and blocking a few with literally a crowd of 600 students, and another 300 or so curious primary students looking on. I felt good about my debut in goal, but not great. Too bad, I did not have Bonnie Kuhn or the freshmen Augs to give me a few pointers. 30 seconds into the game, from about half field, one of the students launched a high arching shot, that because I was a little out of the goal looped over my head!!!!!!! Into the goal. He beat me high. And then I heard Toby Charles in my head saying, “Oh the keeper was not ready for that one.” I ended up stopping 4 of 12 shots, 3 were goals, and 5 were wide, until I was graciously replaced by a Ugandan teacher. Halfway into my experience, the students screamed and rain, and then I saw a hellacious rain storm, headed our way. We got drenched and the rest of the game was played in either a downpour or a very wet field with huge puddles. It was a blast although the faculty was on the wrong end of 6-nil score. I think I may have gained some credibility with the students of Awere for my feeble American effort at football.
I just went through another 12 pack of malaria pills, it is amazing how fast my time is going here. I will be home before you know it. I am looking for a bar on Friday the 27th to go hoist a Bell, or Nile Special with you my friends, or if they don’t have those I guess we could purchase a local St. Louis product.


peace

john

4 comments:

phil said...

John,

I am pretty sure we will find a bar some where in south city. Went to the cards/giants series and everyone in the bleachers have been asking about you, and your travels. We will need to break out those fantastic red blazers for a grand entrance when you get back. BTW Bonds came in 4 short of tying the record and left town the same way. Cards lost 2 of 3 with 7 errors in the series.

Hope the pills are working, and will look forward to hoisting a st louis product when you return.

Take care
pw

Katie said...

I'd love to go out with you too, but let's just make sure you have time for a shower first because if you think it's bad, it must really be bad.

Love, Katie

Nothing like a sister to speak the truth

Jack Abels said...

Too bad we don't have the audio of your out of goal exploits. Instead of "Ooohhh, Kevin Keegan, the Irish international...", we could have heard "and there's John Magee, the American international".

Ed said...

soccer.. and then it rains.. and you don't mention that you are perhaps the greatest short end water polo goalie in St. Louis history??? See you soon!