Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Friday, July 6, 2007

Service, Track Meet, and Reminders of Home

This morning we got up and went into Awere school to do community service. They are off school today because of the big city wide track meet. I have sent a picture to my dad showing one of the classrooms I teach. Maybe he has uploaded it by now.

Since some of the students stay at school, we were the big attraction, as we washed the chalkboards, we often had a crowd of 10 or 12 students watching us. I cannot imagine, 12 Americans watching people wash board after board, but these kids did, and followed us to each classroom.

We then talked about our presentation at the workshop tomorrow. Alfred came up with a wonderful beginning on how to present teaching with limited resources. I will save that story for home. We then had the buffet at Diana Gardens, all 5 American teachers from Awere and 4 of our Ugandan counterparts. Trying to explain Halloween to them was funny, they did not seem to grasp the concept, especially when I described a Jack O Lantern

We then got to Pece (pe-che) stadium for the end of the track meet, there must have been 20,000 high school students cheering on over 30 schools. The track was grass, with spray paint and only the inside lane had been worn to dirt over use. We saw three heats of the 4 x 400, many runners were in bare feet. And the uniforms were often not there. The Awere kids who were cheering on the sidelines were very happy to see the Mu noo teachers. I have a picture of a kid with a very worn Cardinal shirt that walked by us. Then on the way home, I saw one of my Awere Senior 3 students with a rather new St. Louis Blues jersey on. Although, it was a little sunny and hot 80 degrees, many in the crowd had umbrellas from the sun.

Alfred and I then went back and made tetrahedrons and icosahedrons with soda straws. It was a great day. Alfred is a very good man and I hope I can do something for him one day and help out my friend.


john

p.s. I also bought gifts for all my nieces....

3 comments:

Claudia said...

John,

Well I couldn't see you in Gulu from the Google satellite view either! I might have shut down Google maps be asking for directions from Gulu to Awere. I guess they don't have the Uganda roads loaded into Google maps yet. I did see a lake to the north of Gulu, and wondered if it was within walking distance or if you had seen it.

I will have to pass on the track stories to Lucy. Maybe we should practice without shoes, since most of the world class runners seem to come out of Africa. Maybe that is their secret.

Let us know about the weather. The 10 day forecast for Kampala is better than for St. Louis.

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers

Claudia

Carol Barnhart said...

John, I read your messages daily and try to imagine and digest all your experiences. Making a difference and adding to the life of your students must be very gratifying. Making all your new friends will last you a life time plus your students and their lives. I'm sure God is with you all. Love, Aunt Carol

Kelly Harbaugh said...

John,
Your posts continue to fascinate and inspire us all. They also make us want to do something for these kids. Are care packages an option? We'd also be happy to take on a penpal.

I've completed the assigned homework but I'm afraid the UPS man thinks I'm a bit odd now. More than likely he'll change routes :)

On a even better note, the cards brought home a winner last night...whoohoo! Go Cards!

Keep up the good work!

Kelly