Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Amelia and Allison

  On the rafting trip to Jinja,  I looked up at the bar and standing there was one of my favorite people who helps Ugandans do more--Amelia.  Many Nerinx students will remember that I highlighted Amelia and her achievements in my speech to the National Honor Society.  She is small of stature, but large of heart,  and continually amazes me with her efforts and her new projects.  I was also excited because Amelia and Allison who is working with Amelia were headed to Gulu.  I immediately offered lunch as a bribe to hear about their new venture.  

   Upon returning Monday to Gulu, I texted Amelia to see when lunch might happen.  She told me that both her and Allison were in the hospital in Jinja as they had contracted Malaria.  It was the first time for Allison, who has only been in Uganda for a month,  but the third time!  for our seasoned pro,  Amelia.  Either way,  I was saddened that my friends were having a hard time.  Today,  I joined the two of them at Cafe Larem,  for a little relaxation.  It was great,  because Amelia and Allison had a great conversation with Rita,  the wife of the Rita and Justin team,  that owns Cafe Larem.  It was a great conversation and just reminded me of how many Americans and others are here willing to share their time and their talents to help others.  Justin and Rita (a young married couple out of Austin)  have opened this espresso bar, internet cafe, and chocolate chip cookie outlet in the middle of Gulu.  They welcome each visitor like they have known you all of their life.   Their friendliness connects a lot of great people here.  BTW,  Larem is Lwo for Friendship.   Cafe Friendship.

     So what can you do?  Aaaaaaaah!  I have a real simple answer.  Go to www.nuintentions.com and read about what they are trying to do,  and it might help if you bought a pair of earrings or two or three.  Nuintentions stands for Northern Uganda Intentions.

     If you are reading this and are 16 years old or 19 years old or 22 years old and someone has still convinced that young women are not going to change our world.----then you have not met the people I know.  I am in the internet cafe, Cafe Larem, right now and there are 13 women here all working in different projects compared to only me and One American male.   

Remember my students and former students,  Believe in yourself.  And know that I believe in you.  And if you ever need to see the definition of an empowered woman, fly to New York, take a flight to London, then fly in to Entebbe,  take a mutatu 5 hours north to Gulu,  hop on a boda boda,  and have them take you to Cafe Larem.   You will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

Becky Dale said...

And for those who have just read this and still have doubts, visit www.girleffect.org