Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Friday, July 3, 2009

More good times at Bambu

I am sitting in an internet cafe waiting 30 seconds for each page to load. Morgan is on my left, and Jill is on my right, two new teachers from Group 3. Jo Mallory is back, and yes JRob, I gave her the appropriate greeting.

We had our first day of teacher workshop today with 90 some teachers. Learning how to be a better teacher and help our students more both in Uganda and at home. Of course, I have no idea why I am going to teacher training on a personal trip. It was actually a good day and we had a breeze the whole day, which is so much better than last year, when I sweated so, so much.
During my talk today, I encouraged the Ugandan teachers to think past their reach, and envision great things for their students. Dana, a sweet smaller one from Group 1, wrote down something I said. WOW. But the line was, and I think I will use it for my Nerinx students this year is, "If you can see, touch, or envision your future, you are not reaching far enough."

For instance, Shona, who would have ever thought that I would be spending my third straight summer in Uganda. Last night, most of group 2, and a few from the other 2 groups converged at Bambu. It was a good night, as I had burned a CD of dance music off of Joanna's computer. She had a good mix, although her Prince selection was a little weak. But she had Yeah, Golddigger, Ride wit me, and Holiday (still the best Madonna song). Although, I also included Like a Prayer for the unwashed.

We have another day of conference tomorrow, and then a 4th of July party at the Acholi Inn, the oasis of western style in Northern Uganda.

Oh, I almost forgot, I am working on having Lisa Swetman fall in love with me for four days, and then break her heart on Thursday night at Bambu by cheating on her with the stubborn one, Abby. If you recall she is a great singer/songwriter and I think this has the making of a hit. So although a few feelings may be hurt....I am doing it for the art.

still a little bit off (z-score higher than 3),

your friend, and son, and brother, and possibly just a stranger,

John


ps AP students send me the good news when you get your scores.

No comments: