Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Friday, July 31, 2009

Talking to People

Today, I decided the best thing for my body was to walk into town, probably about a 25 minute walk. Yesterday, Darren and I went into town to get 2 cases of beer for a party we are having tonight. It is a little tricky, but you put the case on your thigh and tell the boda boda driver to go slow. Unfortunately, if you have an insane boda boda driver, then big people bounce off roads. Although, I told him about 7 times to slow down, he decided to pass another boda on Juba road in front of Prison primary. The beer crate did not clear the other boda and his handlebars hit the crate. Lucky for all that he did not crash. More, "Mot, Mot," from me did not slow him down. So when we hit the IC road, I fell off the back with the case of beer. Me falling off put the bike into a wheelie and the driver soon fell off. By now, the driver he had hit was screaming at him in Lwo. And Darren's driver was also shaking his head about this one. As I was falling off the back, my calf hit the brake light structure (wrought iron metal) and tore my pants, and cut my leg. By the way, mom I am fine, just a little sore.

So that was just the preamble, as I decided to walk to stretch out my calf, I was joined by a young student from Gulu High, an S.2. student he had been sent home because his hair was a quarter of an inch long, and that is too long for most schools. He was going to go home, get money for the barber, and go get a haircut. We had a great conversation. Reminding me again in this town, Gulu, or that town, Atanga (actually Lakecayot), I can talk with total strangers all the time. It is my vow this year to have more conversations with total strangers, and ask them about their life.

I believe it is a just a more pleasant way to live.

Okay Cardinals 3 out of 4 from Dodgers is good, let's win the series against the Astros.

John

btw, finished third in the quiz night with all of the Mzungus last night. Did not know the play Lincoln was watching when he was shot.

1 comment:

Mary Mindel said...

Seriously - a Lincoln buff like you didn't know "Our American Cousin"?