Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Friday, July 24, 2009

Rain, Rain, Thank God for rain.

THERE ARE UPDATES TO THE TEXT POSTS (THE LAST 4 POSTS) READ THEM FIRST.

This morning at 6:27 am, the rains came with a roar. When you sleep with a tin roof and nothing else, you know the minute the storm comes. I just waited in my room for an hour, because there was no place to go. I watched the courtyard fill up with water, and realized it may soon be coming into my room. If there was blockage by the door, I put on my trusty Crocs and waded into 6 inches of standing water. Don't worry it wasn't the water so much, as all of the turkey poop that had to be a part of the water that really messed me up.

But the town of Atanga and surrounding communities need rain so much. They rely on growing their own food, and have been praying for this rain for awhile. Drought and famine are already happening in parts of Uganda. I was so glad that the rain came for my friends that I almost did not want it to end. But eventually it did and we got to say good-bye to our friends, Ronald and Martin and Isaac and Otim John and Odongyik Patrick and Ocwa Alfred. I am going rafting tomorrow and will be back blogging every day on Monday.

These people, my new friends, are amazing. It is really kind of sad that I have to leave. I will write more next week, when I can process a little more.

We got home and I was able to treat Kevin, Bill, Ryan, and Darren (from Group 3) to lunch at the pork joint. It was so good and so cheap.

Might blog tomorrow, if I do not sleep in. Until Monday, and remember Spahn and Sain and pray for rain.

John

No comments: