Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Heat, Sweating profusely, and the Chicken Man

I don't know if I have told you this, but it seems like every room I get in this place has absolutely no air circulation. So I often just lie in my bed and sweat for an hour or two until my body equilibirizes (word?). My room in Atanga also catches the end of the evening sun, with its metal window, it really is a hot box. So today, when I came home from school, I stripped down to the barest minimum of culturally acceptable clothing, grabbed two bottles of Chinese water, and a plastic chair. I was going to sit out front, but realized of course that would get the same sun. So I took my plastic chair and walked across the street to the shade of a big tree. Of course, every little kid (human kind) and every little kid (goat kind==there are a lot in Atanga) came by and stared. The children said either How are you? or something in Acholi, a few adults stopped by to introduce themselves and chat. One was the brother of the man who stopped me yesterday, he showed me a bent bike part, and installed it on my bike for 3000/= or less than two dollars. Now I am sitting 3 or 4 inches higher although the juxtaposition of the seat, my handlebars, digging into my legs, and the lack of brakes, probably means I am going to crash soon. But this man, the bike man, was my savior..... The ride to school is downhill, and only makes me sweat through my shirt.... The ride back is all uphill, so first I ride through corn fields, and dodge little chickens...I call this part the chicken farm. Then the next part is the hill of death, although not so steep, it is sometimes hard to find the smooth bike path, and I am also a fat old man. But the second part of this obstacle course, might be the most treacherous, I call it the P.O.D.A.L. which is the Path of Derision and Laughter. I pass by the primary school grounds and at least 200 students every day come by to laugh at the large man on the small bike. The third part is flat as I roll through town, so I call it Friendly town, but the last part to get home has a nice uphill grade, so I call it Not so Friendly town. This usually happens around 5 oclock here. So if you are up at 9 am St. Louis time, think about me on my journey, you will laugh. Welcome to the PODAL. Anyway, thanks to my new seat, I made it home in good shape, although still very warm. I took refuge under the shade tree, and met my new friend Kidega Francis. Kidega means the father did not love the mother and wanted her to get away. Anyway, Francis warmly welcomed me to Atanga and told me that he was going to give me a young chicken next week. He said through the translation of his brother, the bicycle repairman, that I could eat it or watch it grow. HMMMMMMMMMMM

God bless the Chicken Man and all of you,

John

1 comment:

David said...

John, welcome to Atanga, and please pass along a greetings from Josh and I.