Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

ISAAC

I first met Isaac under the shade of a Shea nut tree in the middle of Atanga. He seemed to be the talker of a whole group of kids Isaac is a bright 14 year old in S.2. Yesterday Isaac invited me to walk to his village to meet his grandmother. Isaac has other reasons for wanting to talk to me. He might not be allowed to go to school without payment of school fees. His grandma invited me to their round hut for cow peas and millet bread.

(Also on Tuesday in a telephone conversation John said that Ronald and Martin were in the same boat regarding payment of fees.)

UPDATE: I met with the bursar and was able to pay the balance on Ronald and Martin's school fees. Isaac was in a different boat, but I decided to give him some money to help him. We drew up a contract and we both signed it. I gave up a few shillings, and Isaac promised to do great things.

Ronald biked to Pajoole to submit his Invisible Children application. I think it is about a 25 km ride over hills and bad roads. He left at 9 am on a bicycle and was back before 1 pm, sweating profusely. He immediately hopped on the back of bicycle ridden by Martin to take him back to the town center for some much needed food. It is really quite something what I see here. Words cannot describe what some of these students and these teachers have overcome.

Q: What can I do Mr. Magee?

A: Well, we will make some plans when I get home in mid-August. But maybe for tonight, you just give your mom and dad a big hug, and thank God that are still living and in your life. And tonight, when you sit down and eat your supper, think how tough it must be to be hungry as long as you can remember, and say just a gentle prayer for those souls that go to be hungry and tired every night.

No comments: