Walk to Atanga SS

Walk to Atanga SS

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Ft. Patika, Climbing a Mountain, and Poker

Today, our group of teachers along with many Ugandan teachers went to Ft. Patika, for a picnic and sightseeing. Matt M. almost decapitated Justine, when he opened the side door of the mutatu when she had her head out taking photos. Less than two minutes later, as I was trying to wedge my big body into the crowded mutatu, I got two of my fingers slammed in the door while someone closed the front door. It hurt like hell, but we found ice (first ice I have seen in Africa this trip) and with a couple of Advils I was fine.

I was really looking forward to grilling the chicken tikka like last year. Unfortunately, we decided not to grill this year, and then I decided to eat last, and by the time I got through the line, the chicken was over.

Gave Mike, Lance, Justine, Ryan, a short tour of Ft. Patika and got talked into climbing a mountain. It was a tough climb, and I got almost to the top when I realized I was hanging out with people in their twenties, and this was probably the rock, the old man should stop on.

Played a nine-person poker tournament and yours truly came out the winner. Last week in Atanga, I will write again through text messages and take a lot of pictures.

see you soon,

John

No comments: